If you’re thinking about clean eating or organic eating and you aren’t sure where to start .. consider this.
- All food regardless of it’s origin contains some amount of pesticide used to ward of insects.
- Pesticides can linger in some foods more than others due to their outer layer protection and the conditions in which they grow.
- To stretch help your dollar, the Environmental Working Group puts out a study each year that allows you to see which foods retain the most pesticides and which retain the least.
The Dirty Dozen (buy these organic)
- cherry tomatoes
- hot peppers
- nectarines (imported)
- sweet bell peppers
- plus collard greens and kale
- plus summer squash and zucchini
The Clean Fifteen (skip the organic aisle on these)
- kiwi fruit
- sweet peas (frozen)
- sweet potatoes